re: the German string....

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 17:18:31 EST

At 10:51 AM -0600 12/3/98, Jim West wrote:
>Um, far be it from me to raise a question... but perhaps a series of posts
>on the usefulness or unusefulness of German in NT studies might be more
>profitable on Graphai.
>
>Even in posting this mild protest on the suitability of the topic here I am
>myself gulity of prolonging it.... I apologize.

This is a curious proposition; one cannot normally get onto the Graphai
list without being a member of SBL, i.e. a practically professional NT
scholar for whom there's hardly even a question whether German is
important--I say that as one who has not thus far been able to get onto the
Graphai list: something about having to be qualified.

No, I really think this IS the right place for the topic, and it doesn't
hurt to hear (read) the voices (messages) of those who on the insular
rather than the continental side of the channel.