RE: Lexicons and calling for advice for new students

From: Hultberg, Alan (alan_hultberg@peter.biola.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 05 1998 - 09:41:41 EST

Greg,

To gain facility in reading Greek you will need to be able to "parse" on
sight. I personally don't think that memorizing all the paradgigms is the
best way to achieve this, however. Instead, learn only what is necessary to
distinguish one tense/voice/mood/case/person/number from another, that is,
memorize the smallest meaningful formal units (morphemes) that are
characteristic of each grammatical category. You'll find there aren't many,
and they can be arranged in compact form quite systematically. Mounce's
Basics of Biblical Greek is helpful in this regard, as is studying (as
necessary) his morphology of biblical Greek. (It is doubly helpful to learn a
few phonological "rules" that are encountered often in Greek morphology--esp.,
for instance, why 3rd declension nouns do such weird things--Mounce's
Morphology is very useful here.)

What you especially want to memorize outright (if you want to be able to read
your GNT with confidence) is vocabulary and principle parts of common
"irregular" verbs.

Re: Mounce's Analytical Lexicon. If you're learning to parse, take the time
to wrestle with a word before looking it up, but by all means look it up to
check yourself. When you do look a parsing up, however, don't leave it until
you can see *why* it was identified as it was.

For what it's worth, that's my take.

Alan