Re: Translators

From: Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 19:28:55 EST

At 10:54 98/12/02 -0600, Stephen Long wrote:

>Let me just share a little story about the value of a good modern
translation. Last night my 15 year-old daughter was enthusiastically
telling about how much she was enjoying reading the Bible! She was reading
it at school and chuckled out loud, her friend asked her what was so funny,
"Nothing," she said, "just reading the Bible". The translation was "The
Message" by Eugene Peterson. Now I don't know anything about his
scholarship credentials etc., but he made my daughter enjoy reading the
Bible, he made it come alive for her, and for that he has this parent's
gratitude.

I rejoice with Stephen at his daughter's enthusiastic response to the
reading of the Bible in the form of "The Message".

This rendering of the Bible is being heavily promoted here in Australia.
(Is this also happening elsewhere?)

I would be most interested to read any comments on it by list members who
have had a good look at it.

Regards,

Ward

Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA.