Re: Translators

From: Theodore H. Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 19:21:30 EST

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 14:33:56 -0800 Don Wilkins
<dwilkins@ucr.campus.mci.net> writes [snipped]:

>Along with many others, I too cringe to see the decline of language
studies at all levels, but the root of the problem always is low student
turnout. . .
>For those whose interest is limited to English Bible translation, it is
a seller's market (i.e. few jobs). . .

The reason for the first fact is probably the second. Having spent 30
years teaching music in the Humanities department at a large Michigan
college, and chairing the department for several years, I have seen the
same process unfold more often than I care to remember: few available
jobs leads to fewer students signing up for classes which leads to the
elimination of courses (and the teachers who teach them) which leads to
the elimination of programs. I have not only seen this happen with
foreign languages, but in music, literature, art, etc., etc. It's the
old law of supply and demand. I suppose the same situation prevails with
biblical and other classical languages, and I imagine that there are
probably fewer jobs with lower salaries available in those disciplines
than in music, art and literature. Am I correct?

Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
thmann@juno.com