Re: reason for b-greek

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 01:27:48 EST

On Wed 9 Dec 98 (15:29:10), du198@freenet.carleton.ca wrote:
> I have to explain to new students of biblical Greek the importance of
> studying the language. Could you please give me some reasons why we
> should study biblical greek and why biblical greek is relevant for today.
> Many people in my midst think that it is a waste of time. I have to come
> up with very convincing answers to help them understand the importance
> of studying biblical Greek.

 Dear Carlton:

 Biblical Greek is relevant for today because the Bible is relevant for
 today. Church folk all over the world want to know what the Word of God
 really has to say about their situation. Post-Christians and Post-Moderns
 are equally curious.

 If Biblical Hebrew (and Aramaic too) is the language God spoke, then
 Biblical Greek is the language Jesus Christ spoke.

 Many of the young people enrolling for Greek classes today are training
 for the Christian ministry. It is part of their necessary discipline to
 study the Biblical languages. In my case I was spurred on by Scripture
 itself: "Study to show thyself approved to God, a workman that needeth
 not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:25).

 The single most decisive factor in the Protestant Reformation was arguably
 the publication by Desiderius Erasmus of the Greek New Testament, soon
 revised by Robert Stephanus and published in 1550 as the "Textus Receptus".
 His son Henri moved to Geneva and published numerous editions of the Greek
 classics. He published the "Thesaurus linguae Graecae" (1572); "Apologie
 pour He/rodote" (1566); and "Traite/ de la Conformite/ du Francais avec le
 Grec". Greek took its place alongside Latin as a compulsory subject in the
 Universities. Oxford and Cambridge only dropped compulsory Greek after
 WW2; and compulsory Latin quite recently.

 Western Philosophy is built upon Greek philosophy. Latin is the language
 of Western Jurisprudence; but Greek is the language of Western Philosophy.
 European History since the Reformation stems from the impact of the Greek
 NT on politics: "cuius regio, eius religio" (a nation's religion is that
 of its ruler). Modern Science and the Industrial Revolution was only made
 philosophically possible by the Protestant Reformation (the Weber-Tawney
 Hypothesis). If anyone wants to plan for the future, he must study the past.
 Henry Ford said "History is bunk". Winston Churchill said "The lesson of
 history is that nations will not learn the lesson of history" (or something
 like that).

 No doubt others can think of more and better reasons. It's late and I'm
 off to bed...

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--