Re: reason for b-greek

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 17:30:24 EST

At 9:02 PM -0600 12/10/98, Ben Crick wrote:
>On Thu 10 Dec 98 (08:01:02), cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:
>> I hope not to start an argument on this matter, and if we can steer clear
>> of expressing theological and religious judgments regarding a question
>> I think ought rather to be discussed in pragmatic and pedagogical
>> terms, then we may be able to avoid argument. Personally, however, I
>> don't like Ben's formulation above, either as a syllogism or even as a
>> pair of propositions. I wouldn't want to urge any view on THE language
>> that God speaks (or has spoken or will speak); if we want to consider
>> the language spoken by the Jesus of history, that's debatable.
>
> Dear Carl,
>
> I'm so very sorry if I inadvertently offended against the canons of
> b-greek and of good taste in making that silly remark. It was not intended
> as a theological statement; only as a lame attempt at an aphorism.
>
> If it has any justification at all, then it is in Hebrews 1:1-2a
>
> POLUMERWS KAI POLUTROPWS PALAI hO QEOS LALHSAS TOIS PATRASIN EN TOIS
> PROFHTAIS EP' ESCATOU TWN hHMERWN TOUTWN ELALHSEN hHMIN EN hIWi...
>
> But I don't want to continue any argument on this matter, either: so this
> is private to you, not to the List.

I appreciate this very much, Ben, and I thought it most probable that it
was tongue-in-cheek; I wasn't sure about the second one: do you think Jesus
spoke Greek? I'd say that Christ speaks to us through the NT in Greek (but
I wouldn't even say that on the list).

Best regards--and I hope you have a blessed Christmas,

Carl