RE: reason for b-Greek

From: wross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 11:14:56 EST

When I became a car owner and I went to a mechanic and had no idea whether I
was getting ripped off or not. I was extremely uncomfortable paying the high
sums I paid for repairs, thought I might be getting ripped off, but couldn't
prove or disprove it. Since then I've learned auto mechanics "from the
original Greek". My options are larger:

* I can take my car into the shop and evaluate the estimate for
reasonableness;
* I can jump in a repair it myself if it isn't too big of a job for me;
* I can impress people with my knowledge of pistons and "aspect" at dinner
parties and Bible Study;

"Light is better than darkness, because at least you know what you're
stumbling over" - Bill Ross, after reading:

Ecclesiastes 2:
13 Then I saw that wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth
darkness.
14 The wise man's eyes are in his head; but the fool walketh in darkness:
and I myself perceived also that one event happeneth to them all.
15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth
even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this
also is vanity.

Of course, I could have just found an honest mechanic, paid him a fair wage,
and been much richer. But I have enjoyed learning mechanics, it helps in
other areas, I've got a bunch of nifty tools I'm familiar with, I have
compassion on mechanics for their busted knuckles... And learning Greek is
even more rewarding because it is God's word, and the very act of digging is
part of the glory of kings:

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of
kings is to search out a matter.