Re: Phillipians 2: two questions

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 12 1998 - 17:40:02 EST

At 4:18 PM -0600 12/12/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I was surprised by two things in the syntax of Phillipians 2:
>
>1. In verse 1, why is it EI *TIS* SPLAGCNA? Isn't this a mistake in agreement?

My text punctuates as EI TIS SPLAGCNA KAI OIKTIRMOI, ... Certainly if TIS
were meant to be construed solely with SPLAGCNA it would have to be TINA,
but it would appear that we have a ... (trumpet sounding): HENDIADYS--I
think the two words are meant together to stand for the conception of
compassionate fellow-feeling and that TIS construes with the IDEA
represented by the two nouns together. This is awkward, as one might expect
a plural, but I'm not sure but what a plural wouldn't be awkward too.
Strange, I've never noticed that bit before.

>2. In verse 4, can you please help me understand the use of hEKASTOI?

hEKASTOI is a distributive pronoun with a strong adverbial force to be
understood with the verb: people as individuals (= every one
individually--so that it's inclusive) are to look to the well being of
those other (than themselves)." He probably could have written PANTES but
using hEKASTOI achieves a rhetorical parallelism to express the
antithetical notions: MH TA hEAUTWN hEKASTOS SKOPOUNTES ALLA TA hETERWN
hEKASTOI.