Re: BAGD Lexicon & BDF Grammar

From: Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 03:20:28 EST

Michael, am I wrong? this sounds to me more like the writing of a new
grammar than the editing of BDF.

In that case, will you include sections on morphology and "Wortbildung"?
That is one deficiency in BDF, as presently constructed.

And I hope you will expand his section or rhetorical figures, more like the
section in Smythe' classical grammar.

>Yes. I can say more. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I'm in
>the middle of grading final exams.
>
>The new BDF project has been underway for several years and I see no end in
>sight for the next two or three at least. That's because the project is
>massive. We have undertaken to rewrite the entire grammar rather than
>simply revise the current edition. This means rethinking the organization
>of the material to make it more user-friendly, rechecking all references to
>manuscripts and documents outside the NT, incorporating insights from more
>recent exegetical and linguistic studies where they are relevant for
>explaining the grammar, and reading an enormous number of Greek texts from
>the early Christian community as well as the wider hellenistic Greek world
>for evidence relevant to a full treatment of the grammar reflected in the
>New Testament documents.
>
>As Carl mentioned, some information about this project used to be available
>on James Tauber's website. If there is sufficient interest, I could repost
>some of that information on the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway (URL
>in the footer below).

>Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
>North Carolina State University
>Philosophy and Religion (New Testament)
>Foreign Languages (Ancient Greek)
>
>Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
>http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
>You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
>http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/bibliographies/

Edgar Krentz
Acting Dean, Fall Quarter 1998
Professor of New Testament Emeritus