1 Cor 14:14: "My mind is AKARPOS!"

From: James P. Ware (jw44@evansville.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 10:57:09 EST

  Re the originality of GAR: I think Fee is putting the matter a
little too strongly. P46, and Vaticanus in Paul's letters, IMHO, are
frequently accorded undue weight. P46, in view of its great age (c. 200
C.E?) can indeed by of great importance when it agrees with other
important witnesses. But it does not possess the *independent* value
often given it. Vaticanus likewise in Paul's letters displays a definite
strain of peculiar and secondary "Western" readings, often in agreement
with secondary readings found in p46. The uncials Sinaiticus and
Alexandrinus are, I think, in Paul clearly superior in the quality of
their text, and even the important later minuscules 33, 1739, and 81
approach or exceed the value of Vaticanus.

The external evidence in this case is thus quite close, but would seem to
tip slightly in favor of Sinaiticus, A, D, 33, and 81 over p46, B and
1739. The internal probabilities here are tricky and could probably be
argued either way. The decision in NA to include GAR as most likely
what Paul wrote, but enclose it in brackets to indicate a fair degree of
doubt about it, seems judicious.

Jim Ware