NONNOS

From: TonyProst@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 12:48:12 EST

I am working on Book Two of the Paraphrase, which corresponds to Chapter Two
of John's Gospel. I would appreciate some insight from members on the
following:

John 2:1 ...gamos egeneto en Kana te^s Galilaias

Nonnos 2:3-4
        amphi pedon Kananaion aexiphutou Galilaie^s
        paidotokou gamos eske biou pro^tosporos arche

        My question is about the word Kananaion. The Bauer/Arndt (how do you cite
this lexicon?) says this is a word not meaning "regarding Cana", nor even
"Cananite", but it comes from an Aramaic word meaning enthusiast or zealot.
Obviously the most likely interpretation is as an adjectival form of Cana, but
Bauer rejects that. Is it improper to read the word as "Cana-ish"; must it be
read as Bauer takes it?

Thanks for your responses,
Season Greeting,
Tony Prost