Re: Suggestion for the sake of list efficiency

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 20 1998 - 10:18:38 EST

OFF-LIST:

Dear Randy:

What you're saying makes eminent sense on the surface, but I fear that even
a concise explanation of why one is asking the question, unless it is
phrased rather carefully, may, in some circumstances, have unpleasant
repercussions. Yesterday I asked a new subscriber (the first two posts from
new subscribers are monitored to guard against spam and sectarian
invective) to rephrase a question--innocent enough in itself--that he
wanted to ask. He said that he had been involved in a discussion between a
Protestant and a Roman Catholic over the "imputation" or "infusion" of
righteousness into a believer and wanted to know which of the two was the
valid understanding of LOGIZOMAI or ELLOGEW in the context. I asked him if
he would mind resubmitting the question to ask list-members regarding the
range of possible legitimate meanings of these verbs in these passages
RATHER than asking for evidence to settle a dispute between alleged
proponents of a Roman Catholic and a Protestant view. I don't know whether
you'll agree with me on this one or not, but it seems to me that we ought
to be asking the question what the NT Greek text legitimately means rather
than which side in an argument the NT Greek text supports--the more so in
that it may well be that the GNT doesn't support either of the two views in
question or that it may support both as well as some others. It seems to me
that this is a more appropriate approach to the Greek text of the Bible.
I'm quite aware that many a B-Greeker would prefer to use this list as an
"authoritative" source for deriving proof-texts for whatever doctrine they
wish to assert or to be used to debunk whatever proposition they want to
debunk, but I personally think it is more honest to ask what the NT really
says than to ask which side in a dispute it supports. So, while I would
agree with you that some questions might be easier to answer if we know why
a poster is asking some specific question, I'd really rather see the verse
or passage cited fully in the Greek and have the poster raise the question
about the diction or syntax or morphology within that citation that s/he
finds unclear or ambiguous. I think that the two suggested translations of
the verbs LOGIZOMAI and ELLOGEW as "impute" and "infuse" might even have
been used, so long as there's no identification of the one translation or
the other as deriving from a particular faith-stance.

I'd be curious to know whether you feel this restriction runs counter to
the proposal you were making. I certainly agree that it's a lot easier to
answer a question if we know what question the post really wants an answer
to, but it bothers me that a poster should put a question intended
fundamentally to make him or her more comfortable about his or her own
understanding of the Bible. I just think we need first and foremost to be
as clear as possible about what the Bible is really saying, and then worry
secondarily about whether or not what the Bible is really saying makes us
comfortable or not. (And I will add that, in my own reading of the Bible, I
have found myself at times feeling more comfortable, at other times quite
uncomfortable upon reaching a conclusion about what a particular passage
most likely really means.

Thanks again for your recent review. Peace, as ever

Carl