Re: Future of EIMI - middle?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 08:28:22 EST

At 7:12 PM -0500 12/21/98, Trevor M Peterson wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:11:04 -0600 "Carl W. Conrad"
><cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
>
>[snipped]
>>
>>This accords well with the argument I've propounded here previously
>>that
>>the Middle voice in itself has nothing to do with transitivity, that
>>there
>>are numerous "intransitive" verbs, particularly verbs of motion, that
>>have
>>middle-voice forms, and that the fundamental notion involved in
>>middle-voice forms is the involvement of the verb's subject in the
>>verbal
>>expression.
>
>That reminds me--any chance that we'll see the more in-depth discussion
>on the middle voice that you've been promising, sometime before the
>year's out? It would make a great Christmas gift!

Well, it all depends ... I'd completed the bulk of a rough draft last
summer that needs to be pruned down and completed. The biggest impediment
at the moment is that my computer is that my obsolete computer system at
home has finally crashed irreparably so that I can work now only at the
office. If I can install a system at home within the next few days, there's
a chance that it may be completed before next semester's classes start; but
at this point I can't really make any promises for before New Years' Day,
and I'm sure you'll understand that--I expect to be spending most of my
time at home until after New Year's Day.

Best regards and a blessed Christmas to you, Carl