1 Cor 4:5 TA KRUPTA

From: Joseph P Hennessy, MD (Tekmerion@mailhost.net)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 17:50:43 EST

In 1 Cor 5:4, I find ...hOS KAI PHO^TISEI TA KRUPTA TOU SKOTOUS... If I
take TA KRUPTA as accus. pl. neut. pres. act. part. of KRUPTO^ "things
which are hidden," then, TOU SKOTOUS serves as a subjective genitive with
this verbal: "those things which the darkness hides" or "which are hidden
in the darkness." The difficulty here is the nature of what is hidden, and
will be brought to light by the Lord when he comes: to take KRUPTA more as
an adjective used substantivally (KRUPTOS) than in its verbal sense subtly
alters the genitive relationship and could suggest that these hidden things
are produced by the darkness, a "spawn of Satan." But is everything hidden
"of" the darkness, or may some things only be hidden "in" the darkness?

While the context of the passage contains no specific references to the
"realm of darkness," the very next clause brings me to TAS BOULAS TO^N
KARDIO^N, and motives may be "darker" than just things.

Or, perish the thought, am I gilding the lily in pseudo-erudition?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

Joseph P Hennessy, MD
TEKMERION
1442A Walnut Street, 208