Re: Hi

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 10:24:10 EST

At 07:32 PM 12/21/98 PST, Selina Purcell wrote:
>Hi everyone!
>
> As a new member of b-greek, I have decided to introduce myself. I am
>14 years old, live in Australia and attend a Christian school called
>Covenant College. I started learning Greek in my spare time last
>August, in the knowledge that one day I will have a chance to use it to
>translate the Bible into another language. Of course, I haven't come
>very far yet, but I joined the b-greek list in the hope that I could
>find out what sort of problem's I'm likely to run into while doing
>translation work and at the same time, teach me things I may not find in
>any ordinary text-book.

Welcome to the list, Selina!

If you're just starting out with Greek, one resource you may want to look
into is the Little Greek 101 site that I'm working on:

        http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons

I'm self-taught too, and so are some of the others. I've also put together
a page with tips for learning New Testament Greek, which you can find here:

        http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/

The Summer Institute of Linguistics is an organization that knows a lot
about translation. You can find them at:

        http://www.sil.org

Pick up their Greek fonts while you're at it, they can be downloaded for free.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine