Re: ACRI

From: Thomas J Logan (caltom@gate.net)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 10:28:34 EST

Hi Carlton

Thanks for the reply. You are correct in that ACRI in Rev 20:5 is a
conjunction. I had neglected to examine the tags and had assumed it was a
preposition. It is not too difficult however to find a commentary which would
see an implication that the rest of the dead do come to life after the 1000
yrs. The UBS translators commentary would be typical.

Revelation 20:5

 [The rest of the dead ... were ended]: only after the one thousand years do
all the other dead people, Christians and non-Christians, come back to life.
This bit of information interrupts the narrative, which is why TEV places it
within parentheses. This is intended to make clear to the reader that the rest
of the verse is linked directly to verse 4. One may also translate "All the
other people who had died ...."
(from UBS Translator Handbook Series)

perhaps however the comment is motivated by the theology of the translators
and/or the translation of EZHSAN

You make mention of the ingressive aorist of the NAS version. By this I
understand you to mean the translation "come to life" of the NAS. This
demonstrates a coming into life while the ASV's "lived not" just notes the fact
of living. The KJV's lived not again carries the same thought of entering into
life from death. Nevertheless I believe you are correct that an implication
that the rest of the dead do come to life after the thousand year is not
necessitated. Thanks

Tom

.