Re: Virus

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 08:34:04 EST

>A reliable source tells us that IBM has issued a virus alert this morning.
>If you receive an e mail entitled JOIN THE CREW....for PENPALS...........DO
>NOT OPEN IT. It will erase everything on your hard drive without remedy and
>will automatically forward itself to all addresses in your book.

This is an old hoax that has circulated for a long time in various forms.
The only "viral" aspect is the flood of unsolicited email warnings re. the
nonexistent virus.

If you get an email warning re. a virus, you can be almost certain that it
is, indeed, not true! If you want formal confirmation of such things,
always check authoritative sources such as the following:

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

The specific virus that we just been threated with is explained at:

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html#joincrew

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm