Re: 1 Cor 11:2

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 17:02:02 EST

At 03:50 PM 12/15/98 -0500, Bill Combs wrote:

>Should MEMNHSTHE in 1 Cor 11:2 be parsed as a middle or passive?

I did a quick Gramcord search for perfect passive or middle forms of
MIMNHiSKOMAI, and came up with only two. The other is in 2 Tim 1:4, which
reads:

EPIPOQWN SE IDEIN, MEMNHMENOS SOU TWN DAKRUWN, hINA CARAS PHRWQW

In this context, I think it's pretty clear that Paul is recalling Timothy's
tears. Similarly, in 1 Cor 11:2, I think it's pretty clear that the
Corinthians are remembering Paul, and not the other way around.

So I think it's probably middle in both cases.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons