Re: MUQOS in 1 Timothy

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 20:54:48 EST

On Mon 28 Dec 98 (12:24:57 +0800), lemuel@bcd.weblinq.com wrote:
> It seems way off the purpose of B-Greek, but perhaps you would suggest
> what Paul was referring to? One suggestion by Metzger was the aggadic
> writings, and the Book of Jubilees, more the homiletical or fictional
> accounts from Jewish literature at that time.

 Dear Lemuel

 Jim West has given an answer already. Maybe Paul is referring here to the
 "mystery" religions and their teachings. MUQOS is from the verb MUW which
 can mean "to initiate into a mystery cult"; "to instruct". Alternatively,
 the coupling with "endless genealogies" (1 Tim 1:4) might indicate
 Judaizers, intent on "proving" their credentials as priests and "teachers
 of the law" (1 Tim 1:7; Titus 1:14). But again, the coupling with
 "profanities and old wives' fables" (1 Tim 4:7) TOUS DE BEBHLOUS KAI
 GRAWDEIS MUQOUS would indicate, to me at least, pagan folklore and
 mythology; perhaps what today is characterised as "New Age religion". This
 finds some support in 2 Tim 4:4 "they shall turn away their ears from the
 truth, and shall be turned to fables EPI DE MUQOUS": like Alexander the
 coppersmith (2 Tim 4:14)? The "books and parchments" would be canonical
 Scriptures, IMHO, to refute the likes of Alex hO hALKEUS, or indeed Alex of
 Ephesus (Acts 19:33).

> Would this include the Apocrypha? I understand that Timothy would have
> known these literature Paul was talking about. How do we know whether
> it includes what and what were not?
> Would Paul be talking 'canonical' here?

 I agree with Jim here. One could speculate that "Luke" and "Mark" were
 about to do some serious editing of the Synoptic Gospels (2 Tim 4:11);
 that would be the best antidote to any current MUQOI about the Person and
 Work of Christ. But here I go straying away from b-greek...

 Happy New Year
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF