Re: English Grammars

From: Troy DeJongh (troyd@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 12:36:44 EST

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 Thikka@aol.com wrote:

> Dear B-Greekers,
> I am attempting to learn Biblical Greek and finding that my knowledge
> of English grammar isn't entirely up to the task. Most of the authors who
> write books about NT Greek do a fabulous job of describing grammatical
> terminology, but I would like to study English grammar more thoroughly so that
> I won't have to wait until I learn Greek
> before truely comprehending English grammar. Yet, many of the authors who
> write tomes about English grammar are either too complicated-like the work by
> Huddleston which I have looked at-or so easy that I half expect to hear the
> voice of Mr. Rogers intoning, " Can you say, " noun" ? Moreover, some authors
> will throw around terms like "kernal clause" and "finite clause" while other
> authors never seem to mention these two concepts but, instead, use terminology
> which is different in its own odd way. In brief, is there a grammar which is
> consistent enough in its description of terms and concepts that, as I begin my
> study of Greek, it will help rather than hinder me in my pursuit of
> proficiency in understanding Greek and English.
> Thanks for your consideration of this question and a happy New Year to
> all.
> John Francis Avellar

John,

I was always one of those "weird" students that loved grammar. Recently I
picked up a neat little reference guide to grammatical terms for about
five bucks from Barnes & Noble. I think it fits the bill for what you're
looking for. It's called:

21st Century Grammar Handbook
    by Princeton Language Institute, Joseph Holland (Editor),
       Barbara A. Kipfer
         List Price: $5.99
         Amazon.Com Price: $4.79
         Paperback - 316 pages (April 1993)