Re: English Grammars

From: Thikka@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 16:28:57 EST

<< John, I reckon the best way to learn your own grammar is by comparing it
 with another language.

 Most of my knowledge of English grammar was learnt by comparing it with
 French at school, and Greek and Hebrew at theological college.

       David,
       Since I am studying Greek on my own I can afford to learn grammar as I
go because
I have no one to answer to. I admire your ability to learn English grammar
while in the process of learning various foreign languages since you obviously
had to do so at a quick enough rate to pass your tests and hand in papers as
well. Believe me when I say that this is no small accomplishment.
       I love to read books about language so now that I am finally trying to
learn Greek I am certainly hoping that a comparison of its grammar with that
of English will result in a deeper understanding of both languages.
      Thanks for your insightful advice
         John Avellar