RE: Verses which need to be read in the Grk

From: wross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 23:26:29 EST

I've jotted down in cryptic form my cryptic notes from Matthew that seemed
relevant.

*** Part 1 ***

Matthew 1:18 "pregnant in the womb" is actually and unusual choice of words
"pregnant in belly" - not just that she was technically pregnant, but that
she was "showing"

Matthew 4:10 "Get thee hence Satan/Get behind me/Get thee hence" is actually
"Go under [command], Satan"

Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit" is "Blessed are the 'crouching
[as beggars]' in spirit'

Matthew 5:15 "Nor do they "set fire" a lamp and place it under the grain
measure...and it shines [as a torch] for all..."

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to "dismantle" the law" [ie: "keep
these 10, ignore these others"]

Matthew 6:13 "Deliver us from evil" ("evil" is an adjective, not a noun -
hence a substantive which would imply evil person/place/thing)

Matthew 6:16 Is not the oft quoted "when you fast", but rather "should you
fast"

Matthew 6:25 "Do not be anxious" - "anxious" implies being "drawn in
different directions"

Matthew 7:7 "Ask [this word implies that the asker is inferior to the one
asked] and it shall be given you"

Matthew 7:14 "constricted [squeezed, pressed in] is the way leading into
life"

Matthew 7:23 "depart from me, those working [laboring hard at it, not just
having committed] lawlessness"

Matthew 7:28 "the crowds were astonished [pounded out] at his teaching"

Matthew 7:29 "for He was teaching them as having authority [an enforcable
will (for a particular scope)]"

Matthew 8:17 "he took our weaknesses [impotence, strengthlessness] and bore
our sicknesses [maladies]"

Matthew 8:22 "allow the dead to bury their own dead" gives insight into the
meaning of the word "forgive", because it is the same word translated
"allow" and means "let it go away" or "release it"

Matthew 8:24 "a great storm rose up" is actually "a great shaking [SEISMOS]
rose up"

Matthew 8:26 "why are you afraid, o ye of little faith?" is actually "why
are you cowards, faith-ettes?"

Matthew 8:27 "What manner of man is this that even the winds and sea obey
him" has the sense of "What country [ie: planet] is this [guy] from?"

Matthew 8:29 "Have you come here to torment before the time" becomes, (for
all the hunters out there) "before the season"

Matthew 8:31 "the demons begged him" has the connotation of "asked for help"
from him

Matthew 9:2 "and seeing their faith" refers to something he actually was
seeing (ie: with his eyes)

Matthew 9:16 "new cloth" is "uncarded rag". Carding was a process of
aligning the fibers via a kind of brush. (I was meditating this verse,
exploring the Greek, found nothing adequate on carding in my helps, and I
prayed that God would show me what it was. That night or the next I was
invited to someone's home. They had many antiques - including a carding
brush, which they produced and showed me!)

Matthew 9:24 "and they laughed at him" - "laughed" is a derisive laughter

Matthew 9:27 "crying and saying 'Have pity on us'" - crying implies an
impassioned sound as a raven makes

Matthew 9:30 "And Jesus strictly ordered them, saying 'See, let no one
know'" - "See" implies "Get the big picture"

Matthew 9:38 "...the Lord of the Harvest may send out workers" is actually
"cast" or "throw" out workers. This is the same word as "casting out"
demons. Hence, God not only casts out devils, but he casts out preachers!

Matthew 10:1 "..to heal every injury and every softness"

Matthew 10:6 "but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" -
"lost" is actually "destroyed" or "undone"

Matthew 10:8 "Heal the sick" is actually "The strengthless, therapy"
(THERAPEUETE is to be a servant that tends to the needs of the infirm, just
as we use the word today)

Matthew 10:22 "the enduring to end shall be saved" has the sense of
"enduring under [a pressure]"

Matthew 10:23 "But when they persecute [pursue/hunt] you in this city, flee
[FEUGETE - be a fugitive] to another"

Matthew 11:3 "You are the Coming [One]! (or are we to have different
expectations?)" - (John questioned his expectations, Jesus chided the
Pharisees for their incorrect expectations when they went out to see a reed
shaken in the wind)

Matthew 11:5 "and the poor [crouching as destitute beggars] are given the
gospel"

Matthew 11:6 "and blessed is he, whoever shall not be offended
[snared/trapped/tripped/triggered] in me."

Matthew 11:7 "What did you go into the wilderness to see
[admire/study/ponder]? A reed shaken by the wind?"

Matthew 11:8 "see" is plain "see"

Matthew 11:10 "who shall prepare Your way before you" has a very civil
engineering feel to it: "who shall prepare [using equipment] your road
before you"

Matthew 11:25 "At that time" is actually "At that season"

Matthew 11:28 "I will give you rest" is not a cessation of activity but a
cyclic pausing and is phrased "I will rest you". The idea is more of
gracious refreshing as needed, rather than idleness;

Matthew 11:30 "My yoke is easy" is actually "My yoke is ergonomic/user
friendly"

Matthew 12:3 "Have you not read" - "read" has the sense of "re-know";

Matthew 12:5 "the priests in the temple profane [cross the threshold] the
Sabbath and are guiltless [vindicated]"

Matthew 12:32 "not in this age nor in the coming [one]" is "nor in the
imminent [one]"

Matthew 12:36 "every idle [ARGON] word ['RHMA]" implies speech that has no
effect or does no work.

Matthew 12:40 "for even as Noah" is stronger, as in "Just as", or "Precisely
as"

Matthew 12:41 "one greater than Jonah is here" is actually a noun "Greater
Jonah is here". The same happens with "Greater Solomon is here".

Matthew 12:44 "and coming he finds it 'standing empty'" has the sense of on
hold/at school/vacationing

Matthew 12:45 "seven other spirits more evil than himself" has the sense of
"more hurtful". Same with "this hurtful evil/generation"

Matthew 13:36 "Explain to us the parable" is a request that he make it
"clear"

Matthew 13:51 "Have you understood all these things" could read "Have you
put all these things together?"

Matthew 14:31 "O ye of little faith, why did you doubt?" could read
"Faith-ette, why into two standings (why so unsettled in your view)?"

Matthew 15:16 "Are you also still without understanding?" might read better
"You are still unintelligent";

Matthew 15:25 "Lord, help me!", has the sense "Lord, run me a rope!"

Matthew 15:27 "Yes, Lord, for even the dogs..." is "Absolutely, Lord! For
even the little dogs..."

Matthew 15:30 "And they flung them [dumped/deposited like a load] down at
the feet of Jesus and he healed [tended as a therapist] them all"

Matthew 16:1 "the Pharisees and Saducees asked him to show them a sign" -
the word "ask" is more like "demanded [as from an inferior]"

Matthew 17:26 "then are the sons free" is better "then indeed liberated are
the sons".

Matthew 18:3 Carl, are the passives in this verse significant or deponent?
"Humble oneself" is definitely active and has the picture of "lying low"

Matthew 18:7 "It is necessary that offenses come" is actually a noun "It is
a need/necessity that offenses come"

Matthew 18:15 "go [as under command] and reprove [bring out the facts] him"

Matthew 19:3 "Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every reason"
has more of "Is it satisfactory for a human to release the wife of him
according to every request?"

Matthew 19:11,12 "Not all MAKE ROOM for this word, but to whom it is given.
For there are eunuchs [bed holders] who.... The empowered to make room for
it, make room for it."

Matthew 19:13 "Suffer the little children" is that same word:
Forgive/Release. "And do not DWARF/CURTAIL/SUPRESS them".

Matthew 21:31 "The tax-collectors and the harlots go before you into the
kingdom of God" - read go before as "lead before" - spiritual leaders!

Matthew 22:22 "And hearing, they [greatly] marveled"

Matthew 22:33 "And hearing, the crowds were astounded/astonished at his
teaching"

Matthew 22:13 "Hypocrites!", before Jesus coined the new meaning, was an
actor in a play!

Matthew 25:10 "But eventually (more-later), come also the remaining virgins
saying "Lord, Lord, re-open (again-open) to us. But he answering said 'Truly
I say to you I don't see (perceive/understand/get) you'"

*** end of Part 1 ***