2 Tim 1.12--subjective or objective genitive?

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 12:26:05 EST

Re. the phrase THN PARAQHKHN MOU in 2 Tim 1.12: what are the ins and outs of
translating it as an objective genitive ("he is able to keep the things
entrusted to me") rather than a subjective genitive ("he is able to keep the
things I've entrusted to him")? I've seen it translated both ways in
English Bibles, usually with a footnote offering the other translation as an
alternative.

PLStepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan

Q. How many Talmudic Scholars does it take
to change a light bulb?

A. R. Abiva heard from R. Millerstein, who heard from Rab
Josy, who got it from R. David, who got it from Moses,
that it would take three.

Whereupon, R. Marshmallow said that Moses said
'three' but meant 'two' since "light" has three radicals,
but the vaw in the middle separates the light from the
dark.
Q. How many deconstructionists does it take to change a
light bulb?

A. On the contrary, the NILE is the longest river
in Africa.