Re: EPEITA in Gal 1.18, 21 and 2.1

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 20:35:58 EST

At 11:45 AM 1/5/99 +0800, Jack Painter wrote:
>I have a question regarding the sequence of events in Galatian 1 and 2. The
>temporal adverb EPEITA occurs three times in 1.18, 21 and 2.1. Longenecker,
>Galatians, 45, argues " the probablity is that the three years of 1.18 and
>the fourteen years of 2.1 are to be understood concurrently, not
>consecutively--that is, that both are to be measured from Paul's conversion
>and not that the fourteen years are to be counted from his first Jerusalem
>visit." Longenecker give no external examples to undergird his proposition.
>J.L. Martyn, Galatians, 180-182, comes to roughly the same position.
>
>Bauer and LSJ seem to imply that EPEITA used in a temporal sequence denotes
>succession (consecutive events) not concurrency. In Paul's other use of the
>term this way, succession is the impication (1Cor 15.5-8). Are there any
>examples in Greek literature to anyone's knowledge that would indicate
>concurrency?

Louw and Nida agrees with you:

  "a point of time following another point - `then, afterwards, later.'"

I did a *quick* search for the term in the GNT, and didn't find anything
that seemed to suggest concurrent time. It occurs only 15 times in the GNT
(and once in the LXX).

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research