RE: Luke 5.29 - Levi's party: stick to the Greek please

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 08:14:00 EST

The question under discussion in this thread has strayed quite a distance
from the Greek; this is not a list for discussion of Biblical problems in
general but strictly for the discussion of questions directly associated
with the Greek text of the Bible and the Greek language in which the Bible
is written or into which it is converted in the LXX. Please keep messages
for the list focused.

At 3:53 PM +0000 1/5/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 02:31 PM 1/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>{Jim}
>>Finally, the "tax collectors", like the "scribes and pharisees" have been
>>demonized by Church tradition- but there simply is no evidence at all that
>>they were somehow viewed by their contemporaries as particularly evil or
>>wretched.
>
>>{Bill}
>>The evidence in Scripture is everywhere, though.
>
>Hey Bill,
>
>I agree- according to the Christian texts the scribes, pharisees, and tax
>collectors were a sorry lot. BUT- my point was that these Christian texts
>have a particular reason for saying such things. However, you have not
>produced any non christian contemporary texts giving the same perspective.
>
>To refocus- the original post asked about the common conception that tax
>collectors were particularly unsavory. I say no- and without some
>contemporary evidence stemming from someone without a desire to magnify a
>particular person, we cannot assert that they were worse than anyone else.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List