aramaic New Testament

From: jtownsle@iupui.edu
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 14:59:18 EST

Hey all:

I know we recently discussed this, but it just came up on another listserv
of mine. There are two clergy on this list that talk as if they are
"assuming" that the NT was first written in Aramaic not Greek, and they
cite a couple of sources. Does anybody have some info on the absurdity of
this hypothesis. Or am I just being an academic snob going along with the
"tradition" of a Greek as the original langauge of our texts. It is what
currently has the most evidence right--that the NT was originally written
in Greek? I include his most recent response below. Is there any
"respected" scholar who actualy believes that Aramaic was the original
written text?

Jeramy Townsley
Indiana University
http://php.iupui.edu/~jtownsle