Re: Accusative exercise in Vaughan - 1 Peter 5:2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 10 1999 - 21:11:11 EST

At 3:37 PM -0500 1/10/99, AgapeLove9@aol.com wrote:
>Here is the final translation exercise for recognition of accusative
>catgegories.
>
>Accusatives…
>1. Accusative of direct object
>2. Adverbial accusative
> a. measure (extent of space or time)
> b. manner
> c. reference
> d. goal, termination
>3. Double Accusative
> a. person - thing
> b. direct - predicate
> c. oath-taking
>4. Accusative absolute
>

>1 Pet. 5:2 POIMANATE TO EN hUMIN POIMNION TOU QEOU [EPISKOPOUNTES] MH
>ANAGKASTWS ALLA hEKOUSIWS KATA QEON, MHDE AISCROKERDWS ALLA PROQUMWS
>
>Shepherd the flock of God, which is in your care. [Overseeing] not under
>compulsion, but willingly according to God. Neither for love of dishonest
>gain, but eagerly.

I haven't checked this against any of the standard versions, but the
bracketed EPISKOPOUNTES is problematic here; it is bracketed because the
editors have some doubts whether it really belonged originally to this
text; if it does, however, it doesn't really add anything to the imperative
POIMANATE except perhaps by virtue of the durative aspect of the present
participle: "continually exercising your role of oversight." But all of the
adverbial expressions ought, I think, to be understood in relationship to
POIMANATE.

>POIMNION - acc of direct object

Right.

>Question - does the TO here belong to POIMNION or is this one of those
>articles before an adverbial phrase?

Here EN hUMIN is an adverbial expression that becomes an attributive
adjective to POIMNION by virtue of its enclosure within the article: it
becomes "the among-you flock." Your translation, wherever you've acquired
it, conveys the sense of it as a relative clause "which is in your
care"--and this is accurate enough implicitly but misrepresents the
structure of the Greek sentence.

>KATA QEON - acc. of manner hanging off of EPISKOPOUNTES. So, as I understand,
>watch over the flock in a way that God approves and has directed.

As I said above, I think all those adverbs ought to be seen in relationship
to the imperative POIMANATE. But as for KATA QEON, I would link it most
directly either to hEKOUSIWS or to the whole phrase MH ANAGKASTWS ALLA
hEKOUSIWS. Here QEON is accusative with KATA, which tends to mean (with an
accusative, at least) "according to" or "following along with." I'd say
that in this context, the author is urging his reader-hearers to do their
shepherding not by cracking the whip over the ship but by respecting their
freedom of will "as you might expect God to do"--or something like that. At
any rate KATA QEON is positioned immediately after this antithetical phrase
and ought, I think, to be understood as clarifying that antithesis of
coercion and respect for individual freedom.