ambiguity and participles

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 12:20:00 EST

As I'm working through 2 Tim, I am at times having trouble determining if a
participle should be classified as substantival or attributive--I've
probably found a dozen or so where I've had to spend at least a *little*
time in deliberation before reaching a tentative conclusion. As one
obsessed with minutiae, I'm driven to distraction.

For example, 2 Tim 3.6: EK TOUTWN FAR EISIN hOI ENDUNONTES . . . KAI
AICMALWTIZONTES . . .

Do I have two substantival participles (hOI ENDUNONTES and [hOI]
AICMALWTIZONTES)? Or do I have two attributive participles, modifying hOI?
Or can the participles be classified as either?

Perry L. Stepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan

No reasonable man ever accomplished anything.
     --George Bernard Shaw