Re: Greek questions from Byzantine list scholars

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 06:35:05 EST

At 2:15 AM -0500 1/12/99, WA2KBZ@aol.com (Karl Schulte) wrote:
>Gentlemen/ladies , is it permissable to give out email addresses to scholars
>on the Byzantine list who have Greek language questions? I have referred this
>list to them, and its leaders as the stars of the constellation of Greek
>scholarship (or was that too understated?).

Karl: I wouldn't mind myself responding to Greek language questions of that
sort but I think it ought to be off the B-Greek list and I'd warn them that
Byzantine Greek is not necessarily the same species as the Biblical Koine,
although obviously it's kindred. I would think those on B-Greek willing to
take such questions might best inform Karl of their readiness in an
off-list message--but as I've already said, unless it really concerns
matters that are at least of patristic Greek, I don't think the queries
ought to be addressed to B-Greek itself but to the individuals.

Incidentally, although I think Jonathan has mentioned this on some
occasion, our membership list is not available as a list of e-addresses
that can be readily obtained by anyone; in fact, even list administrators
can't obtain such a list with any ease. If there are any disadvantages to
this, at least it must be said that we have been mercifully free of the
floods of occasional spam that used to hit us in the old days at
majordomo@virginia.edu. I did notice, the last time that I was in the
list-membership files, that we have a membership of well over 600, which
must include a great number of "lurkers."