Re: 1 Cor 13:6 SUNCAIREI DE THi ALHQEIAI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 18:12:50 EST

At 5:18 PM -0500 1/13/99, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>1 Cor 13:6 SUNCAIREI DE THi ALHQEIAI
>
>As I read it, this personifies truth, and pictures love rejoicing together
>with truth, right? And ADIKIA, unrighteousness, is not personified, right?

It may seem easiest to translate it this way, but you ought to be aware of
a standard practice in ancient rhetoric of using an abstract noun to
represent a category of concrete individuals (e.g. youth of Athens = young
Athenians). So here ADIKIA and ALHQEIA could well be understood as hOI
ADIKOUNTES and hOI ALHQEUONTES.

Of course, the next thing you're going to ask me to do is give other
examples of this from the NT, right? I guess I'm not prepared to do that
right away, so you can take this with much salinity, if you choose.