Basil Gildersleeve

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 20:22:31 EST

Dear b-Greekers:

Is Capt. Basil Gildersleeve the same Gildersleeve
of world-famous reknown? I came across this recently
while reading, "A Soldier's Recollections - Leaves from
the Diary of a young Confederate" (Randolph McKim, D.D.):

"On September 27th [1864] ... I find a record of another fight,
and among the wounded was Capt. Basil L. Gildersleeve,
serving on the staff of General Gordon. This accomplished
and great scholar, the greatest "Grecian" of his day in
America, had been my professor of Greek at the University
of Virginia in 1859-60. On the closing of the University he had
entered the service, and had shown that he could emulate the
courage of the heroes of Hellas as successfully as he could
expound the intricacies of their beautiful language. He carries
to this day, in his limping gait, the witness of his gallantry in
that fight forty-five years ago, but, though long past seventy
years of age, his intellect marches as erect and vigorous as
ever. His career may remind us that the cause of the South
rallied to its support men of every rank and condition in life,
the student and the scholar, not less than the man of affairs"
(p. 233).

Paul Dixon