Re: arsenokoite ( 1 corinthians 6:9 ) vs. arseno and koite in Leviticus

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 22:38:19 EST

At 02:04 AM 1/24/99, Chris Korpi wrote:
>My question is: Is there a definitive translation of the Greek word
>"arsenokoite" used by Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10?
>
>I know that Leviticus 18:22 in the Septuigent uses the phrase "arseno" and
>"koite". However, some scholars claim that Paul's compounding of the two
>words can not automatically be assumed to mean "homosexual."

Like many of the biggest arguments on B-Greek, one of the greatest
difficulties in this issue is the meaning of an English word -- in
this case, the word "homosexual." I've seen many debates in which
people were talking past one another simply because they didn't realize
that they meant different things by that word. If I were to venture a
guess on the meaning, I would take note that neither Paul nor anyone
else at the time showed much much, if any, understanding of the notion
of "sexual orientation" that is so paramount today.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/