Re: Classical Greek helps

From: Phillip J. Long (plong@gbcol.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 09:02:06 EST

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 21:28:11 -0500, you wrote:

>All my Greek training at both the college and seminary levels was in
>Biblical Greek. I have noticed that just about every koine Greek
>grammar appears to assume that the reader already knows classical Greek.

I am glad to hear that this is true, since our Greek program requires
a year of classical before koine readings. We take heat from this
(mostly from students), but there is a good point to it.

>I am not confident that I will be successful at making time for this,
>but now may be one of the better times for me to try and lay a more
>comprehensive Greek foundation.

I would second Maurice A. O'Sullivan's Joint Association of Classical
Teachers [ Cambridge, England] "Reading Greek." Since you already
know most of the grammar, reading lots of Greek is the best thing for
you. This series will start you slow, but you can read alot of Greek
in a short time with some grammatical comments along the way. Get all
three volumes if you are going to work by yourself.

Phillip J. Long
Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
Grace Bible College