Re: PROS [ton qeon]

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 14:20:54 EST

>From: "Carl W. Conrad"

>Let me suggest an alternative formulation and analogy, although >[there
may be?] those who object to etymological perspectives brought >to bear
upon questions of diction:

Yes. The problem I have with multiple citations of a word's usage [as
opposed to an etymological approach] is that it assumes that the meaning
of the word is understood in the citations. It may very well be the
case that it is, or as well that it is NOT!

>EIS : PROS = EN : PRO

This is so obvious that I flew right on past. Thanks, Carl. And the
first thing that arose for me is old Mr. Sigma showing up here ~ Highly
sigmificant! :-)

Because *IF* the letter sigma in the Greek alphabet is a letter that has
connection with the future, with potential events, with present tendency
toward future happenings... Then a lot of things begin falling into
cognitive place, yes?

>EN refers to stationary position in space or time,

No sigma = stationary = Present

>while EIS (EN + S) refers to temporal or spatial directionality with
>reference to a position in space or time

Presence of sigma = Directionality [spatial/temporal] = Future
[potentiality]

>or to a notion that is conceived metaphorically as
>analogous to a position in space and time (as when EIS is used with >an
accusative in a phrase of purpose or result);

And this would NOT entail mere 'position', but position plus,
directionality, either with or without movement, but with the solid
future potential for movement, yes?

>PRO refers to stationary position, temporal or local before or in
>front of a position in space or time,

Again, stationary = present

>while PROS (PRO + S) refers to temporal or spatial directionality
>with reference to an object or person or time or to a no;tion
>conceived metaphorically as analogous to such a position: "facing,
>toward, prior to..."

And directionality = future/potentiality

>I don't know that this resolves all the questions about EIS and PROS,
>but I think that seeing the two adverbial/prepositional elements in
>relation to EN and PRO can, I think, be helpful.

Well, in John 1:1b it gives a marvelous dissonance between stasis [HN]
and directionality [PROS], giving an early setting of the tone of the
exposition that this gospel affords the reader of it, because it follows
the first preposition that has no sigms, the very first word of this
gospel ~ EN ~ Denoting simple position... [spatial/temporal]... and its
associated analogies.

Followed by, at the hinge of the chiasm, simple identity of LOGOS-QEOS.
The more I look at this, the infinitely better it gets!

Thanks again, Carl

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA