Re: John 1:18

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 15:38:29 EST

>Hall Harris likes QEOS because it is the more difficult reading!
>
>I like QEOS because I see John 1-18 as a unit of discourse, and the end
>of it should tie up with the beginning, [chiastically]. Because TON
>QEON [KAI] QEOS forms the pivot of the opening chiasm, I would look
>to the end to find this term [QEOS] as well. [The pivot is in the
>'betweeness' of the two nouns TON QEON and QEOS, arthrous and
>anarthrous.]
>
>However, I also see the 'left over' PROS TON QEON of the opening
>chiasm as being appendable to the end of 1:18 [implicitly, thereby
>making EXERGHSONTAI more understandable to me], which could
>argue either way. The whole of this gospel seems to predicate around
>the hO QEOS-QEOS relationship introduced in the opening chiasm,
>which would seem to be another argument in favor of QEOS in
>1:18.
>
>IS the QEOS the HUIOS in 1:18? I do not know how it could reasonably
>be denied. So I don't think there is any real problem with using
>either one.
>
>George

George,

I'm afraid I must disagree, the use of QEOS just doesn't ring true to me.
If you're looking for an important relationship, look at the hO WN EIS TON
KOLPON TOU PATROS. Since (QEOS/hUIOS) is modified by hO WN EIS TON KOLPON
TOU PATROS, it seems very logical to assume the correct reading is hUIOS,
"Son who is in the bosom of the Father". If you read it as "God who is in
the bosom of the Father", it doesn't read very well, someone is mixing
their metaphors.

Steve

| Allegro Graphics, Inc. -- Allegro Digital Media, Inc. |
| 4132 Industrial Drive

| Saint Peters, Missouri 63376 |