Re: Mark Ch 1.

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 14:09:02 EST

>From: Jonathan Robie

>George Blaisdell wrote:
>
>>If this is approached chiastically...
>
>Proof by chiasm always makes me very nervous. If there is nothing in
the
>text to strongly suggest a chiasmic reading, I'm inclined not to.

Well Jon, I DID start that sentence with "If"... :-)

It is an approach that holds promise, and certainly would not, imho,
constitute 'proof' [by chiasm]. Earlier discussion on b-greek seemed to
indicate that it very well may have been a fundamental characteristic of
thought of predominantly non-literate cultures, because of its mnemonic
and rhetorical capability.

As well, it sees the unit of thought as a hOLON, be that thought a few
words or an entire narrative. I like to apply it as a syntactical tool
that seeks to work outward from centers, wherein the centers are the
'hinges' of the words that turn through them.

Like all such tools, it is but suggestive, and perhaps only carries the
potential to shed a little additional light on a passage. [There is a
book out on Chiasms that I have not yet seen.]

On the other hand, if it is as fundamental to Greek thinking as I
suspect, it may prove to be much more valuable. I use it all the time.

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA