exegesis questions

From: jharper@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 17:56:30 EST

I'm going through tomorrow's exegesis passage in the Greek [1 Jn 4:1-3] and have a few
questions, if you have time to comment. . .

1. In verse 1, ESTIN in the first subordinate clause does not agree with the antecedent of the
clause [PNEUMATA]. Why not?

2. In verse 2, Wallace says that IHSOUN XRISTON is the subject of the indirect discourse in the
subordinate clause (p. 645). Is the verb of that subordinate clause ELHLUQOTA or ELHLUQOTA
ESTIN (and therefore periphrastic)? If the former, is EK TOU QEOU ESTIN part of the subordinate
clause or part of the main one?

3. In verse 3, the tense sequence puzzles me. AKHKOATE is perfect, with a sense of "you have
begun and continue to hear", and ERXETAI is simple continuous present, "he is coming" . . . but
the end of the verse says NUN ESTIN HDH, "he now already is". Can you comment on the temporal
relationship between these verbs? The only thing that makes sense to me is something like,

 but where in the sequence can one put "he now already is"?

Thanks,

Jane Harper

---------
jharper@ix.netcom.com
Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionem habes.