Re: 666: Enough already!

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 12:30:33 EST

We have now crossed the line between genuine discussion of the Greek text
or Greek language of the NT; the present post concerns a hermeneutical
question, and hermeneutics is one of those areas we are not going to get
into on B-Greek. So, PLEASE, B-Greekers, do NOT go on with this whole
matter of whether or not there are hUPONOIAI in Biblical texts; let's
restrict ourselves with what the Greek may legitimately be argued to assert.

At 11:13 AM -0600 2/11/99, Robert J. Fuller, Jr. wrote:
>I don't understand the temptation to look for hidden messages. If they
>are hidden,
>the the Lord did not intend on our finding them ("The secret things of the
>Lord are
>His..."). I get a little squeamish when people need to find meanings in
>Scripture
>other than the plain meanings of the text. If the letters of my name add
>up to 666
>in Hebrew or Greek, then SO WHAT. But, obviously they don't. I think. I
>wonder???????
>
>Bob Fuller
>First Baptist Church
>New Ulm, MN