Re: 666

From: Robert J. Fuller, Jr. (rjfuller@newulmtel.net)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 12:13:05 EST

I don't understand the temptation to look for hidden messages. If they are hidden,
the the Lord did not intend on our finding them ("The secret things of the Lord are
His..."). I get a little squeamish when people need to find meanings in Scripture
other than the plain meanings of the text. If the letters of my name add up to 666
in Hebrew or Greek, then SO WHAT. But, obviously they don't. I think. I
wonder???????

Bob Fuller
First Baptist Church
New Ulm, MN

dano@ott.net wrote:

> > > Actually, WWW in _Hebrew_ is Waw Waw Waw: numerical value 6 6 6.
> > >
> > > Q.E.D.
> >
> > BUT--of course!--in Greek we're using "W" as a transliteration of Omega,
> > which hasn't the remotest relationship (other than being a STOICEION
> > GRAMMATIKON) to the Hebrew letter Waw.
> >

> In doing some "research" for this question I came across this site
> that "calculates" the numerical value of letters in Greek, Roman,
> and Hebrew.
>
> The interesting thing that I found is that in the Hebrew the letter w
> is equal to 6.
>
> But before anybody jumps to conclusions... including myself.. I
> was wondering if one of the people in this list that know a great
> deal more than I concerning languages.. if they could go to this
> web site and "verify" its content.
>
> http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/Isopsephia.html
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Pastor Dan Oglesby