Re: DIKAIW in Romans 6:7

From: Jonathan Ryder (jpr1001@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 07:02:57 EST

Mark Goodacre wrote:

> How do we deal with the problem? There are a variety of solutions. Tom Wright
> suggests re-introducing the verb "to rightwise" for DIKAIOW. Ed Sanders simply
> invents two fresh verbs: "to faith" and "to righteous". He says that he hopes
> that these will have made it into the OED before he dies. If one takes this
> suggestion seriously, one can at least begin to make sense of passages like the
> above (especially if one also translates EQNH consistently). For your Romans
> 6.7 passage we would then have the indidividual being "righteoused from sin".
>
> Just a few thoughts. You can read more about Ed Sanders's discussion of "to
> righteous" and "to faith" in _Paul the Law and the Jewish People_
> (Philadelphia: TPI; London: SCM, 1983) or E. P. Sanders, _Paul_ (Past Masters
> Series; Oxford: O.U.P., 1991).
>
> Mark

JL Martyn, in his recent commentary on Galatians in the Anchor Bible series uses the
word group 'rectify, rectification', stressing both imputed status and effected
change (I think I'm remembering him right).

Two other points:

1) with regard to translating DIKAIOW as 'to free' when ref to APO hAMARTIAS I think
some interpreters take Paul's ref to sin, death and law etc as (cosmic) powers from
which freedom is gained

2) I believe the word group for righteousness/righteous etc in OT can be translated
'salvation', 'vindication', 'deliveration' perhaps with primary eschatological sense
(although I wouldn't necessarily press that here).

Jonathan Ryder
Tyndale House
Cambridge, UK