Re: Luke 16:1-7 The clever agent

From: Steven Cox (scox@Mail.Sparkice.COM.CN)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 07:06:46 EST

Hi Peter
Why stop at Luke 16:1-7? If you expand the frame to 16:1-15 then the
OIKONOMOS is identified:

hUMEIS (plural) ESTE hOI DIKAIOUNTES hEAUTOUS ENWPION TWN ANQRWPWN

i.e. "What are you Pharisees laughing for? It's you I'm talking about!".

>Luke 16:1 "Doesnt DIEBLHQH suggest false information i.e. slander?

Not necessarily : LSJ cites PTeb23.4 (c.BC 119 or 114) (which will be on
Duke data bank at Perseus I expect) as an example where DIABALLW is used
"without implied malice or falsehood" and this is reproduced in M-M

APEFAINEN HDIKHSQAI hUPO SOU KAI DEMETRIWI HNAGKASQAI DIABALEIN.

>Luke 16: 5, 6 POSON OFEILEIS TWi KURIWi MOU ... DEXAI SOU TA
>GRAMMATA KAI KAQISAS TACEWS GRAYON ...
>Does this necessarily imply that there was an old written IOU or could
>it be as it sounds that the agent had bad management accounting and
>genuinely did not know the amount? In this case he told them to take
>pen and paper and settled for what he could from an otherwise bad
>debt situation.

Not judging by the post-parable comments; In Luke 16:17 the written IOU is
the Law, and v18 may be intended exemplify the IOU-write-down practices
further. This did of course win influential friends among half the
population.

V9 POIHSATE FILOUS ... HINA hOTAN EKLIPHi DEXWNTAI hUMAS
>EIS TAS AIWNIOUS SKHNAS
>Does this mean that there are _friends_ whom you can pay money to in
>this age and they will guarrantee your reception in the next age?
>Is not _eternal tents_ an oxymoron?

Exactly, Isn't an oxymoron often employed to wink? One could equally ask why
not EIS PARADEISON if that's what was implied? or where are these so-called
"friends" are heading themselves? While AIWNIAI SKHNAI sounds like a good
deal at first hearing, both AIWNIOS and SKHNH have a downside as well as
upside in the NT and I wonder if Josephus' use of SKHNH as a theatrical
trick (War2:21:2) is not pertinent here?

The above recognises a degree of irony in the parable, and this may well
offend some people who believe that "sarcasm is the lowest form of humour"
(who said that?). If so my apologies, but I've always read Luke16:1-7 as
only marginally less cutting than the concluding parable in the series which
follows it.
Cheers
Steven