Reasons to Dabble (Re: reason for b-greek)

From: Joseph A. Weaks (fccspear@ren.net)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 16:37:15 EST

At 3:18 PM -0500 2/14/99, Theodore H Mann wrote:
> I question whether or not it is particularly beneficial to dabble in the
>language...

Ted,
I remember the last time you posted this statement, and have one opinion to
add as a pastor-teacher in a congregation, though I'm not sure it is
contrary to your point. I completely agree that a little Greek is a
dangerous thing for many folks, but as I have opened up the awareness of so
many of my congregation members by giving them bits of Greek lesson in
bible studies over the years, it is amazing the fruits I have seen come out
of it. Let me list a few:

Reasons to dabble in NT Greek.
1. Immediately brings to light the inadequacies of any one English
translation.
2. Demonstrates there is not a word for word correspondence between Greek
and English, giving perspective to the word for word concept of inspiration.
3. A glimpse at the critical apparatus opens a whole new realization that
we don't have the 'originals' of ANY of these documents, seriously
challenging a fundamental literalist approach.
4. Understand the root of so many church technical terms (angel, deacon,
apostle, Christ)
5. It opens the Bible up, for some who have kept it closed behind one
particular Biblical doctrine.
6. I suppose I could sum all these up with one word: Perspective.

These are 'experiential' discoveries learned with the briefest exposure to
the GNT that can NOT be accomplish by reading about them in a commentary.

Joseph A. Weaks
Minister of the Word
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Spearman, TX
mailto:fccspear@ren.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6638/
"Let unity be our polar star." -GMP KT