Romans 7:25

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 23:58:52 EST

I am groping my way through this passage, and find several textual
variances, and almost no English translations that use the word
'grace'... What gives?

1. CARIS DE EUCARISTW TW QEW [Concordant Text ~ Sinaiticus?]
2. EUCARISTW TW QEW [Alexandrinus]
3. CARIS TW QEW [Vaticanus]
4. CARIS DE TW QEW [NA26]

Context seems to place this passage as the answer to the TIS ME RUSETAI
question immediately preceding, and the culmination of a long a-building
rhetorical sequence, and CARIS would seem to be THE answer. The DE is
part of this question ~ Two texts have it ~ And while CARIS DE would
seem to introduce the next 'sentence', I am wondering if it might not be
rhetorically translated "Grace!!", with the next 'sentence' starting
with EUCARISTW [#1]. It IS nominative singular, yes?, and has no
verb...

And CARIS DE euCARIStw [#1] seems tantalizing... Rhetorical simile?
Sheer coincidence?

#2 seems too easy and avoids answering the grand rhetorical question
just posed. Yet #3 & #4 almost make CARIS into a verb! How would the
dative work in English without EUCARISTW?

Enough questions!!

George

ps ~ I hope that this is not a passage that is filled with the landmines
of doctrinal controversy... Please, God... :-)

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA