Re: Accents in the originals?

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 07:34:58 EST

>>Did the original Greek manuscripts have accents, breathing marks,
>>punctuation, and capital letters? Were they broken at all into paragraphs
>>or anything?

>The original Greek manuscripts were in capitals and had no punctuation,
>accents or even word divisions. I went to the State Library in Sydney,
>Australia and had a go at reading a facsimile of Vaticanus once.

I've mentioned this before:

According to a paper I heard David Balch deliver at the Southwest regional
meeting of the SBL (in 1995?), there is evidence (inscriptions, I assume)
that older (ca. 500 BC and older?) Greek did indeed have breaks between
words/syllables, and some punctuation. These conventions "fell out" of the
language during the last few centuries BC.

Has anyone else heard or read this? I'd sure like to be able to read more
about it.

Perry L. Stepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/lake/7909
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in
ignorance when the need for illusion is great.
        --Saul Bellow, as quoted by Henry Hyde