Re: Accents (and word division) in the originals?

From: Joseph A. Weaks (fccspear@ren.net)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 16:25:14 EST

> It sounds like the word divisions are pretty trustworty.

Though not completely. I argue in a paper concerning Romans 7:14:

"The Nestle-Aland 26th Edition reads OIDAMEN (we know) in the primary text.
It also provides for the alternate OIDA MEN (although I know) based on
manuscript 33 and others. While the common use of this rhetorical phrase
in Romans is the first person plural, this singular usage would fit the
paradigm of the rest of the chapter, especially verse 18. The significance
of such a translation does not lie in "I" verses "We", as was already
argued, but rather in the MEN...DE; (on the one handÉon the other hand)
structure that is created. With this version of the text, a contrast is
set up between the spirituality of the law and the carnal nature of the
self. "

Just as an example to show there are 'a few' places where word division
questions carry significant theological distinction.

Joe (A NT-PhD-Wanna-Be)

Joseph A. Weaks
Minister of the Word
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Spearman, TX
mailto:fccspear@ren.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6638/
"Let unity be our polar star." -GMP KT