Re: The lexicographer and the theologian

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 08:46:10 EST

Well, it's about time for some humor, I'd say! I don't know much about
angels dancing around a pinhead, but the more standard term for nymphs (or
even female-impersonating male members of a Greek tragic or dithyrambic
chorus) dancing around a spring or an altar is MOLPH, with a corresponding
verb MELPOMAI. These involve singing at the same time that the chorus is
dancing, of course.