RE: b-greek digest: February 18, 1999

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 07:58:06 EST

Phil Sanders wrote;

>I would like to hear comments about the textual variant in 1 Cor. 4:6. The
>critical apparatus in NA 27 notes the variance between hA GEGRAPTAI and
>PHRONEIN, citing the differences. I can trace out the mss from the
>appendix, but I would like to know the credibility of calling the former
>reading a marginal note which was added into the text.

Phil, I think that you have merged two separate places of variation. The
first place of variation in verse 6 is the one word substitution of hO
(rel. pro. neut. acc. sg.) for hA (neut. pl.). The text (hA) is supported
by P46, Aleph, A, B, and C (by many considered formidable in the Paulines).
The neut. sing. is supported Western and Byzantine.

The second place of variation is the interpolation of the infinitive
FRONEIN following GEGRAPTAI. FRONEIN follows GEGRAPTAI in Aleph 2
corrector, C vid, D 2 Corrector, 33 and the host of Byzantine mss. It is
absent after GEGRAPTAI in P46, Aleph, A, B, D, F, etc. also in the Old
Latin and Coptic. This is strong external evidence.

The real difficulty is translating the passage either way. The best way to
take the sentence (?) is to see the article TO introducing a proverbial
saying, "not to (go) beyond what has been written. . ." The rest of the
statement seems to say "lest you become puffed up, one more than another
against another." The sense of what is said relates to the problem of
elevating some servants above the other, like Paul, Apollos, Cephas.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359