Re: UBS4 vs NA27 vs UBS3

From: jharper@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 03:05:16 EST

On 02/19/99 17:53:54 you wrote:

>I have a UBS3 and am perfectly happy with it. My first one fell apart at
>college, but my wife's one has lasted 20 years. Both were free, because the
>Australian Bible Society used to give a copy to theological students doing
>Greek [got a Tenach free too in First Year Hebrew]. Wonder if they still do?
>
>I don't like the UBS4 italic font, and I haven't yet met anyone who does. Is
>an NA27 viable for a beginner? I can't make head or tail of the apparatus,
>though I guess I could work slowly through the introduction and take my dear
>dad's advice [If all else fails, read the directions].

I can't speak to anyone else's experience as a beginner, but during my [one and only one] year
of Greek so far, the instructor never mentioned the apparatus, and certainly never used it. So,
IMHO that wouldn't be a consideration for a real beginner, even though it might increase in
importance later. I have both -- an NA27 on facing pages with the NeoVulgate, and the UBS4 by
itself; the italics in NA27 are indeed deadly, but the entire font is considerably smaller than
my UBS4. Of course, in the NA27 the main text is sans serif regular, while OT citations are
italic; in UBS4 the main text is italic and citations are sans serif regular boldface. These
old eyes definitely prefer the UBS4 just for the size, italics or no.

I do, however, prefer the way the NA27 prints OT references in the margin instead of as a
footnote.

Having said that, since I don't know beans about the apparatus, I happily yield to bigger Greeks
. . .

Jane Harper

---------
jharper@ix.netcom.com
Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionem habes.