Re: UBS4 vs NA27 vs UBS3

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 09:51:35 EST

>If you were buying a Greek NT today, which would you buy? What would you
>recommend for a beginner?

The NA 27 may be a little more difficult to read--smaller font, more compact
apparatus--but it's really a far superior edition for most users. I would
recommend it over the UBS editions--especially the 4th, with that *awful*
font--for anyone who's doing *anything* other than straight translation
work.

The advantages of the NA:
--the marginal references to the Greek text (and the ancient chapter
markings) provide the user with a virtual commentary on phrases from the
text; the Eusebian canons provide another useful help in the gospels.
--the punctuation notes in the apparatus often suggest useful
alternatives--but this feature was better in the NA 25 than in 26/27, IMHO.
--the textual v.l. in the apparatus often provide illumination for exegesis
and preaching: for example, see the note on Jn 3.25, Mt 27.16, etc.

The UBS editions seem to me to be specifically suited for missionaries and
field translators. The added features in the NA editions make them
preferable for exegesis and study, I think.

Grace,

PLStepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
DCC's webpage: http://www.flash.net/~plstepp
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in
ignorance when the need for illusion is great.
        --Saul Bellow