Re: UBS4 vs NA27 vs UBS3

From: Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 10:26:20 EST

Thanks to Rod Decker for this useful information.

I confess that I do not share the dissatisfaction with the Greek font in
UBS4 that so many have expressed. Part of studyding Greek is getting to the
point that fonts no longer matter. I agree that all italic fonts make for
slower reading--unless one gets used to them. But, as a regular user of
Linguist's Software fonts [primarily Graeca], I find their fonts well
designed and quite legible. [I also use other Greek font packages at times.]

I no longer own the 16th and 17th editions of Nestle, which I first used
back in the 1940s. Those older "Teubner fonts" gave me a bit of trouble at
first [coming from the font used in a text like Crosby and Schaeffer]; but
two weeks of translating removed the difficulties.

The solutiin seeems relatively simple to me. Don't use UBS4; read Aland 27.
Or get a copy of the old Alexander Souter text with its very clear type
font.

Anyway, thanks to Rod for the useful information.

Edgar Krentz, Prof. of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 EAST 55TH STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60615